Walk-in tubs with shower are a necessary appliance for anyone with limited mobility, chronic pain, or other disabilities that may make using a regular tub difficult.
But, what if you are living with others who do not need a walk-in tub? What if you’re having a low pain day and just need a quick shower?
Some people may have the luxury of having multiple bathrooms with different tubs and showers but not everyone has that option.
Luckily, walk-in tubs with shower enclosures are available for when you need an all-in-one solution (Source). In this review, we’ll examine the features, benefits, drawbacks, and cost of walk in tubs.
Why Should I Get A Walk In Tub With Shower Combo?
Many seniors and people with disabilities look to replace their regular tub with a walk-in shower or walk-in tub. Such individuals want to remain independent instead of having caregivers help them shower. Walk in tubs offer people the ability to safely bathe and shower with limited mobility.
A walk-in shower with tub typically comes with both safety features and features that offer additional comforts. Safety features include grab bars, non-slip floors, contoured, non-slip seats, and reinforced doors to keep water from leaking and to provide easy entrance and exit from the tub.
Tubs may also come with water jets or air jets that provide massages and encourage circulation.
Walk-in Tub with Shower Reviews – Top 5 Models
|Product Name||Top Feature||Warranty||Check Price|
|Sanctuary Small Shower Enclosure Walk In Tub||Perfect for space-limited areas||Limited lifetime warranty on the unit / Lifetime|
warranty on the door seal
|Step-Through Tub-to-Shower Conversion Kit - Large||Designed to attach to any pre-existing tub||Limited lifetime warranty|
|Siena Computerized Steam Shower Sauna with Jetted jacuzzi Whirlpool||This is an entire spa within a shower/tub||10-year warranty|
|American Standard 3060SH.LL 30-Inch By 60-Inch By 37-Inch Seated Shower with Drain||Freestanding and fits in most bathrooms||15-year warranty on the tub shell, 10-year warranty on parts|
|Sanctuary Medium Shower Enclosure Walk In Tub||A larger version of the Sanctuary Small Shower Enclosure, making it perfect for more standard-sized bathrooms||Limited lifetime warranty on the unit. Lifetime warranty on the door seal|
This walk-in tub with added shower enclosure is our top pick for a reason. The high-quality acrylic walk-in tub comes with an enclosure that sits on top of the tub. That makes it not only a tub, but also a shower, all-in-one.
Measurements of this Bathtub
The tub portion of this unit is 30.5”x40.5”x37.5” and the enclosure is 30.5”x40.5”x42.5”. It has a step height of 6.5” and a seat height of 15”. The door is outward swinging.
Sanctuary shower size is perfect where you may have limited space, such as a mobile home or apartment.
Walk in tub with shower is made of industrial grade acrylic and has a stainless steel frame, making it durable and long-lasting. It comes with a faucet, grab bar, and overflow drain. You also have the option of adding water jets, air jets, or both.
In addition, this also features a no-slip floor for added safety and a heavy-duty door that is reinforced to help keep water from leaking out. Again, a comfortable, contoured built-in seat. The tub has a 50-gallon water capacity.
This is a beautiful, low maintenance unit. There is no extension panel, but as noted, the unit is available in other sizes if the base unit doesn’t work for you. In that matter, there are also left-hand and right-hand drain options.
Do keep in mind that you will need framed walls on all the enclosed sides, as the unit itself is not enclosed. Also, note that the unit is not free-standing, though it is easy to install.
If you are handy and love to make home improvements yourself, consider remodeling your tub and converting it into this dual walk-in tub/shower unit.
Here is a cost-effective and time-saving option as you do not need to remove your old tub and install a new one.
In addition, this is not a separate tub unit but an attachment to your existing tub. The kit comes with a step-through insert and cutting template so that you can cut out and insert it into your pre-existing tub.
You simply measure out where you need to cut, cut through your tub, and attach the step-through insert using an epoxy adhesive that comes with the kit.
The insert is made from polypropylene and designed to attach to any tub, regardless of size or material. There are multiple kit sizes to guarantee that your insert will fit into your tub.
Unfortunately, this kit does not offer many of the safety features you would find in a full walk-in tub/shower unit. You will need to install any grab bars or seats separately and if your current tub is not non-slip, a non-slip covering would need to go over the floor.
More over, this is a great option for people who have difficulty stepping over their current tub rail but who are not severely mobility-limited. It is also a great option if you have small children who have difficulty getting into the tub themselves.
Also, keep in mind that this is designed to go with a unit that is already a dual tub/shower. If you want to convert a tub into a shower unit as well, that would be a separate project.
Siena Computerized Steam Shower Sauna with Jetted jacuzzi Whirlpool Massage Bathtub Spa (Right side, Black)
You’ll end up spending more for this walk-in tub/shower unit but you’ll also be able to enjoy far more features than other, simpler units. This product comes in red, white, or black and has both left-hand and right-hand options available.
It measures 67”x51”x88”, making it one of the larger tubs on this list. It is made from acrylic and tempered glass, with stainless steel fixtures and framing. It weighs 800 lbs.
The features included in this unit are extensive. It is a corner unit, making it perfect for maximizing bathroom space.
Siena Steam shower comes with 16 whirlpool massage jets and 10 acupuncture massage jets. To learn more about whirlpool tubs, read this review.
Features You’ll Enjoy
Jacuzzi walk in tub is also a waterproof 8.4” LC television and the shower is MP3 and CD player compatible. You will be able to enjoy aromatherapy, a foot massage, and a rainfall ceiling shower for a truly spa-like experience.
Additionally, there is a fog-free mirror, mood lighting, hands-free telephone, steam sauna, underwater LED lights, adjustable shower heads, surround sound speakers, FM radio, and a computerized touchscreen to control the many features.
As far as safety goes, this has handlebars, an emergency alarm, automatic safety shut-off, and a ventilation fan. Storage shelves, towel racks, and shampoo racks make it so you have everything you need within arm’s reach.
American Standard 3060SH.LL 30-Inch By 60-Inch By 37-Inch Seated Shower with Drain, Linen, Left Hand
This is a simple, inexpensive unit if you are looking for something that is no-frills but still with all the necessary safety features. It is made from acrylic and has a metal support frame.
The entire unit is 30”x60”x37” and is designed to fit into any standard-sized bathtub space. In addition, it has a very low 2” threshold and weighs 155 lbs. It has a left-hand drain and comes in a linen color.
In order to make this tub easy to get in and out of, it features a wrap-around grab bar and a chair-height, contoured built-in seat. It has a freestanding design so you can fit it in anywhere your previous tub was or install it somewhere else.
Customize It Your Way
Furthermore, it also comes with an integrated tile flange so you do not need to tile your wall or add any additional components to the shower in order to install it. Things to keep in mind: the floor is not entirely anti-slip and to increase safety, you may want to install a better liner on the bottom of the tub.
Lastly, this kit also does not come with a shower door so you will need to install a custom one, as standard ones may not fit. The tub has an opening but no door either. Manufacturer suggests double doors that open outward for top safety and performance.
This is the medium version of the Sanctuary Small Show Enclosure Walk-in Tub. It is made from the same industrial grade acrylic and stainless steel frame.
The tub measures 27.5”x47.25”x36.75” and the enclosure is 27.5”x47.25”x43.23”. It has a 43-gallon water capacity. Step height is 6.5”, same as the small version, and the seat is also 15”. Shipping weight is just over 393 lbs but the exact weight of the unit will be smaller due to the packaging material.
Because the small shower enclosure does not come with an extender, this is perfect for anyone who needs a larger version of this walk-in tub/shower combination.
If the small version seems perfect for you but is not the right size, you don’t need to worry about finding another unit, buying a separate extender, or making additional adjustments to your bathroom in order to fit the small size of this walk-in shower with tub inside.
Lastly, the Sanctuary Medium Shower includes all the same safety features such as the grab bar and overflow drain as well as adjustable leveling feet. It has a water and air jet option as well. This unit is also not free-standing, as with the smaller unit.
Things to Consider Before Buying Walk-In Tubs with a Shower
When looking for the perfect walk-in tub with shower, there are a few things to keep in mind. Not every unit is right for every person and what you ultimately buy will depend on your personal wants and needs.
- Replacing your current tub vs. remodeling it: Depending on your needs, you may be able to remodel your current tub instead of removing it and replacing it entirely. There are walk-in inserts (with or without doors), grab bars, seats, and no-slip tub liners available.This can be more cost effective than buying a whole new unit and you are typically able to install these additions yourself. On the other hand, installing these items yourself may not meet all ADA requirements and won’t necessarily be the best option for people who are severely mobility-limited.
- Free-standing units: Be sure to check whether or not your unit is free-standing when you replace a tub with a walk-in shower. Free-standing units can be placed in your bathroom even if you do not have walls to install it against. Non-enclosed units that are not free-standing will need to be installed against enclosing walls.
- Safety features: Ideally, you should look for tub/shower combinations that are ADA compliant in order to ensure you are getting the safest unit possible. Safety options include grab bars, low thresholds for ease of transfer in and out of the tub, anti-skid/anti-slip floors, built-in seats, sealed doors, and automatic shut-offs for the drain. Some more sophisticated tubs may also include emergency alarms.
Other Features to Consider
- Outward vs inward swinging doors: Inward swinging doors tend to be easier for getting in and out of, especially for wheelchair users. They also tend to have better seals in order to prevent water leaks. However, they cannot be opened when there is water in the tub due to the water pressure sealing the door shut. Outward swinging doors are better if you ever need to get out of the tub quickly due to an emergency.
- Left-hand or right-hand drain: What type of drain orientation you get will depend on the drain orientation in your current tub. In order to be compatible with your bathroom space, the replacement tub will need to have the same orientation as your current tub.
Accessories You May Need or Want
- Add-ons and comfort features: Honestly, there are a huge amount of additional features available for walk-in tub/shower units.
- Water or air jets: These are great for both massages and for encouraging better circulation. Tubs may come with one type of jet or a combination of both and come with varying amounts of jets. They may be oriented for back and shoulder massages, foot massages, or even full body massages.
- Aromatherapy and bath salts: You can get tubs that have attachments where you can put oils for aromatherapy. Some tubs are also able to support the use of bath salts though be sure to check this, as some materials and tubs cannot be used with bath salts.
- Electronic features: More sophisticated units may include outlets for MP3 player compatibility, televisions, phones, CD players, LED touchscreen remotes, and/or FM radios. These are definitely not necessary but add a spa-like experience to your shower.
Ready to Buy a Walk In Tub with a Shower?
Walk-in tubs are a necessary part of life for seniors and people with limited mobility. A walk-in tub with shower enclosure is the perfect way to be both safe and comfortable, whether you’re bathing or showering.
When choosing a tub, there are many factors to consider; safety, comfort, and aesthetic. It is wise to choose a walk in tub from a trusted brand, such as American Standard and Woodbridge.
This list is a great starting point when searching for a tub. Hopefully, it will make your shopping experience easier.